To be admissible to the BC Early Childhood Education Basic Certificate Program, you need the following*:
- Be at least 19 years of age when the program starts.
- Have high school graduation or equivalent.
- Meet the English Language Requirement for admission to UBC.
- Have achieved third-year standing at an accredited post-secondary institution (i.e., you have completed your 2nd year in, or have graduated from, a 4-year degree).
Have a minimum of 75 hours of experience within the last 2 years working or volunteering with children (ages birth to 9 years**) in a group setting.
* a Criminal Records check will be completed upon acceptance (CRC fee $44.25).
** ages birth to 9 is the typical age for ECE, but the BC ECE certificate is for people who wish to work with children under 5
Please note: If you have already completed some ECE Assistant or Basic Certificate training and/or course work, please contact us to confirm in which knowledge areas you will need to complete courses.