Application Process for the BC ECE Basic Certificate Program
For information or assistance with admissions, please contact us with details about your question. If you are a current or past UBC student, please include your UBC student number.
Note: Those wishing to start earlier than September 2020 can apply now to the ECE Assistant program, and then ladder up to the Basic Certificate program in September 2020.
English Language Proficiency Requirements
English is the primary language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students, regardless of country of origin or citizenship status, are required to demonstrate a minimum level of English before they are admitted*:
- If you graduated from a recognized degree program or completed four years of full-time study in English in these countries, your transcripts will confirm that you have met UBC’s English Language Admission Standard.
- Applicants without a post-secondary degree may provide a high school transcript indicating completion of BC English 12 or the equivalent.
- IELTS–Academic Scores: Overall 6.5 (no parts lower than 6)
- TOEFL-iBT Scores:
- Overall: 90
- Reading: 22
- Listening: 22
- Writing: 21
Applicants should review the form and have all required information and documents ready to submit at the time of completion. If additional time is needed, applicants may elect to save entries and continue the form at a later date by selecting ‘Save & Continue Later’ at the bottom of form.
- Within 1 week, you should receive an email from UBC acknowledging receipt of your application. The email will also contain a reference UBC student number and a link to an online payment portal for you to pay the appropriate application fee. If you do not receive this email after 1 week, please email us at email@example.com.
- Once your online payment is successful, your application will be further assessed. Should we require additional information, you will be emailed with further instructions.
- Please monitor your email, as this is the method UBC will communicate with students and applicants. Please include your UBC student number in all communications.
Letters of Reference
- Applicants applying based on work experience with young children in a formal group setting (e.g., licensed childcare centre, pre-school, after school care, community centre, etc.) who do NOT have third-year standing from an accredited post-secondary institution (i.e., completed your 2nd year in, or graduated from, a 4-year degree), will be asked to provide two (2) letters of reference that support your work/volunteer experience statement. A reference may not be from an immediate family member.
- Applicants must provide an official transcript for every post-secondary institution they have attended. UBC transcripts are not required.
- To be considered official, academic records must be received in official university envelopes, sealed and endorsed by the issuing institution.
- Transcripts should be sent to:
Professional Development & Community Engagement Office
Faculty of Education
University of British Columbia
1304 – 2125 Main Mall
Vancouver, BC Canada V6T 1Z4